Justin LeFebvre interesting article about building a number of highly available Scala web services and making the most impact by modifying code to maximize CPU utilization on a per service basis. Enter the “scala.concurrent.Future ” type!
A Future is an object representing a value which may not have been computed yet but will be “soon”. An incredibly useful abstraction for dealing with concurrent computation.
What is interesting about Future:
- Initial calling thread frees up that thread to be available to service subsequent requests
- Useful when working with web servers
- Almost always initialize a limited size thread pool
- A callback to execute when the Future completes
- Can be composed with other futures via any number of transformations
You can read more in the article together with example code. More advanced example project is also available. Nice![Read More]