An article by Jordan Irabor about processing unstructured textual data using Natural language processing for Node.js.
Natural language processing (NLP) is a subfield of linguistics, computer science, information engineering, and artificial intelligence concerned with the interactions between computers and human (natural) languages, in particular how to program computers to process and analyze large amounts of natural language data.
Modern computer systems can make sense of natural languages using an underlying technology called NLP (natural language processing). This technology can process human language as input and perform one or more of the following operations:
- Sentiment analysis (Is it a positive or negative statement?)
- Topic classification (What is it about?)
- Decide on what actions should be taken based on this statement
- Intent extraction (What is the intention behind this statement?)
The article then takes on the NLP journey:
- Prerequisite and installation of natural library
- Tokenization – demarcating and possibly classifying sections of a string of input characters
- Stemming – refers to the reduction of words to their word stem
- Measuring the similarity between words (string distance)
- Classification – also known as text tagging is the process of classifying text into organized groups
- Phonetic matching
.. and much more. All the code is included and available in this GitHub repo. Also plenty of links to further reading.[Read More]