Nicolas Windpassinger detailed article with an overview of wireless IoT protocols and technologies (with some criteria to consider when making choices). Wireless IoT protocols, standards, solutions and technologies for connectivity and data communications come in many flavors for many potential IoT use cases.
Wireless IoT connections and thus the use of wireless IoT protocols are on the rise, also in the Industrial IoT (IIoT) and Industry 4.0. There are slightly alternative ways to look at IoT wireless protocols and classify the various types of wireless technologies within each category - and that is precisely what authors do in this overview.
Some of the topics covered:
- The complexity of IoT connectivity and wireless IoT protocols – with use cases
- Several wireless IoT protocols in the IoT network layer in evolution and the dimension of distance
- Wireless IoT protocols per range and reach – from body area networks to WWAN and LPWAN
- Choosing protocols and technologies in the wireless IoT network layer
- Leading LPWA technologies
If you need to design IoT project this is a must read. Plenty of information with accompanying charts and resources for further reading.[Read More]